The village of Gela is situated in the heart of the Rhodope Mountains, in the Perelik mountain. It is six kilometers from Shiroka Laka. The nearest villages are Solishta (near it is 9 km long) and Stiklus. Nearby are Lednitza hut, Perelik chalet, Golyam Perelik peak (2191 m), Malk Perelik peak (2147 m), Shilestata chuka peak (2180 m), Orpheus peak (2188 m) and Chaeva chuka peak (1922 m). To the west of the village is the Lednitsata cave.
Besides being another incredibly picturesque Rhodope village, Gela is a never-ending source of myths and facts. Many believe Gela is a generator of positive energy that fills the body and soul only after a few hours of staying. Have you been intrigued?
The founding of the village was lost in antiquity, but it is known to be founded by the Thracians. Next to it there is a Thracian fortress Gradishte, studied by the archaeologist Damyan Damianov.
There are two main legends related to the history of the locality and the village. The first is that this is the birthplace of Orpheus. He is also believed to have gone down to seek Eurydice in the nearby Devil's Throat Cave.
The second legend is related to the end of the Second Bulgarian Kingdom. She says that after the exile In the Bachkovo Monastery, Patriarch Evtimii was buried in a secret place in the local monastery. It was burned down in the 17th century and was crashed to earth. At the beginning of the 20th century, local people decided to build a church on the site of the monastery and fall into a grave where the head of an Orthodox church was buried - in a sitting position, with a scepter in the form of two serpent heads and a gold necklace. The old people say their parents have seen the scepter before it disappears.
Excavations to the church really show a grave in which they can sit but empty. The claim that this is Patriarch Evtimii stems from the fact that the last Bulgarian patriarch was not buried in the place of his exile, which is only 20 kilometers from Gela. And the person found in the tomb, according to the natives, had the distinctive signs of the patriarchs.
Gela has two Orthodox temples. The name of the newer is St. Bogoroditsa. The older one was built on the site of a former monastery complex and is called St. Trinity. Its construction began in 1905 and was completed after the 1915 war.